Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Recipe »Vanilla Layer Cake with Elderflower-Mascarpone Frosting«
Vanilla Layer Cake with Elderflower-Mascarpone Frosting
For the cake
- 250 g wheat flour
- 300 g sugar
- 1 ½ TSP baking powder
- ½ TSP salt
- 150 g soft butter
- 1 TBSP vanilla paste
- 185 g egg whites (around 5 eggs)
- 230 ml buttermilk
- 1 TBSP sunflower seed oil
For the frosting
- 400 g cream cheese
- 500 g mascarpone
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar
- 2 TBSP elderflower syrup
- 200 g whipping cream
- 1 sachet Sahnesteif (a German ingredient that stiffens cream)
- Hundreds and Thousands
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 C. Line 2 15cm Spring tins (at least 10cm high) with baking paper.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in the bowl of your mixer. Add the butter in cubes and mix on medium speed using the flat paddle attachment of your mixer.
- Stir in the vanilla paste for 1 minute, then add the egg whites. Slowly add first the buttermilk and then the oil.
- Put equal amounts of the cake into your tins and bake for around 35-45 min. Should the cakes get too dark before being done in the middle cover them in tinfoil. Let the cakes cool for 15 minutes before taking them out of the tins and leaving them to cool fully on a rack.
- Horizontally slice the cooled cakes in half.
- For the cream, carefully mix the cream cheese, mascarpone, and vanilla sugar until smooth and without lumps. Add syrup and stir until incorporated.
- Beat the cream while gradually adding Sahnesteif. Fold the cream into the mascarpone mixture.
- Alternate layers of cake and cream, finishing with a layer of cream on top. Decorate with blueberries and hundreds and thousands.