Recipe »Lemon Saffron Doughnouts with lemon glaze«
LEMON SAFFRON DOUGHNOUTS with lemon glaze
Inspired by »Gun«.
Colors: blue backdrop, yellow donuts.
Round funfetti to recall the dots of the hand.
Ingredients for about 20 donuts (8 cm diameter):
- Saffron powder ¼ teaspoon
- Milk at room temperature 160 gr + 10 gr
- Sugar 85 gr
- Dried yeast 7 gr
- Eggs (at room temperature) 2
- All-purpose flour 500 gr
- Organic lemon zest approximately 2 teaspoons
- Melted butter 80 gr
- Salt 10 gr
- Icing sugar approximately 200 gr
- Juice from organic lemon, enough to get a creamy consistency
- Zest from half organic lemon, to taste
- Yellow food coloring, a few drops
- Funfetti (optional)
- 1 liter of oil
- Stand mixer or other similar machine
- To make these doughnuts you can use a stand mixer or a bread machine with “dough function”.
- Infuse the saffron in about 10 gr of milk. Set aside.
- Warm up the rest of the milk (doesn’t have to be hot, 35°C are enough).
Activate your machine or mixer, combine milk, sugar and yeast and let it dissolve for a minute.
- Add eggs and mix for another minute.
- Start adding half of the flour, gradually. Let incorporate then add the lemon zest, saffron + milk and melted butter. Let the fat absorb.
- If necessary, scrap down the sides.
- Finally, add the remaining flour and salt and let incorporate. Let knead for about 10/15 minutes.
- Put the dough into a big bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place – for 1.5/2 hours (it depends on your room’s temperature) or until doubled in volume.
- When doubled, roll the dough out on a floured surface to about 6/7 mm thickness.
Cut into doughnuts using a cutter or a glass (8 cm diameter) and cut the holes with a small cutter (3 cm in diameter). Do not discard the holes, you can fry them as well.
- Cut parchment paper in squares and place each donut onto a piece, it will be easier to remove them and throw them into the oil.
- Place them on a baking tray and let them rise for about 40 minutes (covered with plastic wrap or a cloth).
- In a large sauce pan, pour a liter of oil and heat it (on medium heat) until it is 170/175° Celsius (340/345° F)*
- Drop a 2 or 3 of doughnuts at a time (and some holes) into the oil and fry on one side. When it’s golden, turn them and cook the other side.
- Drain on paper towels.
*Keep checking the temperature using the thermometer. Make sure the temperature doesn’t drop or increase too much during cooking time.
To make the glaze:
- Start adding lemon juice to your icing sugar and whisk until you get a creamy consistency. Add food coloring and lemon zest.
- You can glaze the doughnuts when still warm or cooled down.
- Eat immediately or store them into the fridge (or freeze them!)