Recipe »Baked Bomboloni«
In our sisterMAG Food Feature »Midnight Treats« which is inspired by the »Pasticcerie Notturne« – the so-called night bakeries in Florence – Karolina Wiercigroch presents three sweet Italian recipes. Here you can download the following recipe for free: »Baked Bomboloni with Apricot Jam & Almond Sugar«.
Recipe »Baked Bomboloni with Apricot Jam & Almond Sugar«
Traditionally fried, these Italian doughnuts are a popular breakfast pastry in Tuscany, as well as other parts of Italy. Best served hot, they’re coated in sugar and filled with vanilla pastry cream, nutella or fruit marmellata.
Makes 14 doughnuts
- 350 g flour
- 50 g sugar
- 7 g instant dried yeast
- 100 ml warm milk
- 150 g soft butter, chopped
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg for brushing
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 50 g butter
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup almonds, roughly chopped
- Combine flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl or a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Make a well in the centre and add warm milk and eggs.
- Using your hands or the dough hook, knead the dough until smooth and sticky.
- Gradually add butter and continue kneading, until the butter is completely incorporated.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place until doubled in size – about 2 hours.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll out to 2 ½ cm thick.
- Using a round pastry cutter, cut out 12 circles.
- Transfer them to the baking tray, cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for another 30 minutes, until slightly risen.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Brush the bomboloni with beaten egg.
- Bake for about 8 minutes – until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly – until they’re cool enough to handle.
- Using a pastry bag with a plain nozzle, fill each bomboloni with the apricot jam.
- Combine chopped almonds and sugar on a tray.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl.
- Working one bombolone at a time, dip bomboloni in butter, then roll in the almond sugar to coat.