Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Recipe: »Meringue Nest«
Recipe: »Meringue Nest with Vanilla Cream, Blackberries & Figs«
- 4 large egg whites
- 220g caster sugar
- 400ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- handful of blackberries (or any berries of your choice)
- 2-3 figs
- sprigs of rosemary and leaves for decoration
- Preheat your oven to 100°C fan/ 120°C.
- Put the egg whites and sugar into a clean bowl and using an electric whisk, beat for around 6-8 minutes until the mixture is white and glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Carefully spoon all of the meringue mix onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper into a rough pile in the middle. Use a palette knife to spread the mixture into a round nest shape, pushing a hole into the middle and building up the edges, until you have a nest. Use the back of the palette knife to create grooves up around the side.
- Bake the meringue nest in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes until it is crispy. Turn the oven off and let the meringue cool inside the oven.
- Just before you are ready to serve, beat the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla extract until it thickens and holds soft peaks, but is still smooth and soft. Fill the inside of the meringue nest with the whipped cream and then top with the figs and berries. Use rosemary or holly leaves to add extra decoration, and an extra dusting of icing sugar if you fancy.
- Use a sharp knife to cut slices when serving, it can get messy but it’s still delicious!